Monday, January 25, 2010
Best of the Decade
I decided to wait a couple of posts between this list and my list of my favorite ones of the year. But since we have reached the end of a decade, its only right that I give the 00s the respect they deserve. Here is my decade in review:
1. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb-U2 (2004)
2. A Rush of Blood to the Head-Coldplay (2002)
3. Funeral-Arcade Fire (2004)
4. I'm Not There official soundtrack-Various (Sufjan, Glen Hansard, Jim James, Jeff Tweedy, Eddie Vedder, Iron & Wine, Cat Power, Karen O, Jack Johnson, Black Keys and Calexico all covering Bob Dylan songs. come on now) (2008)
5. We Have Cause To Be Uneasy-Wild Sweet Orange (2008)
6. All That You Can't Leave Behind-U2 (2001)
7. Viva La Vida and Death to All of His Friends-Coldplay (2008)
8. everything Jason Upton released this decade....all 11 albums
9. The Okonokos Project-My Morning Jacket (2005)
10. For Emma, Forever Ago- Bon Iver (2008)
11. No Line On The Horizon-U2 (2009)
12. Hello Hurricane-Switchfoot (2009)
13. Give Up-Postal Service (2003)
14. Plans-Death Cab For Cutie (2005)
15. Can't Love, Can't Hurt-Augustana (2008)
16. Cease to Begin-Band of Horses (2007)
17. Chutes Too Narrow-The Shins (2003)
18. Public Radio-Mark Mathis (2005)
19. Absolution-Muse (2003)
20. Nothing Left To Lose-Mat Kearney (2006)
Favorite Film of the Decade- Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2001-2003)
runner up: Memento (2000)
Favorite Director-Wes Anderson:Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic, Darjeeling Limited, and Mr Fox. All in a decade's work. Bravo Mr. Anderson. You truly are fantastic.
runner up: Judd Apatow
Favorite Performance- Daniel Day-Lewis as The Butcher in 'Gangs of New York'
Favorite Comedic Performance: Will Ferrell as Mugatu and Ron Burgandy are comedic brilliance.
Television: Arrested Development takes the cake. (2003-2006)
honorable mention: Extras (The Office creator's other, superior show) (2005-2006)
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (our generation's Seinfeld) (2005-???)
TV Host-Colbert and Stewart win. It was a great decade to be a political pundit. So much to work with!
runner up: Conan O'brien. it was a close race.
TV moment-The return of Family Guy to FOX in 2004 after being cancelled in 2001. Although the show has slightly gone downhill since the original 3 seasons, it is very rare that a network accepts a mistake and un-cancels a show (A.D.!!!). It was great to see the little guy win for once.